There are some misconceptions about concrete flooring such as it is cold, prison-like or industrial-like. However, concrete floors are an excellent flooring option for your home. In fact, they have become a popular flooring option in home construction projects. Concrete has numerous benefits and provides a warm, elegant, and polished sheen.
These are the benefits of a concrete floor and why you should install it in your home.
- Sustainability: If you have an existing concrete slab, concrete flooring is a sustainable option since you will be using fewer materials. The concrete slab is sanded down and then sealed or polished for a good final look. The floor in spaces such as a living room or traditional kitchen will look elegant and can be coupled with oriental rugs.
- Ease of Maintenance: Cleaning and maintenance of concrete floors are easy and straightforward. Cleaning can be done on a weekly basis with mop and soapy water. A baseboard can be installed where the floor meets the wall to prevent the accumulation of dirt.
- Economical: Installation costs for concrete floors are relatively low compared to other flooring types. You can achieve lustrous finishes, tonal differences through staining, aggregates, and even cracks that provide the look of natural stone. The cost of finishing concrete floors can range from $2 to $8 per square foot.
- Longevity: The concrete floor is expected to last a lifetime if it is properly polished and maintained. Sections of an aged concrete floor in a home can be preserved as a testimony of the history it carries rather than being renovated.
- Versatility: Concrete flooring is therefore ideal for both interior and exterior applications. Silicone-based penetrating sealers are used to the exterior application of concrete floors to prevent the wet look. A concrete floor bodes well for a stone veneer wall since it improves the rustic appeal.