Orthodontics just like cosmetic dentistry is a branch of dentistry that deals with the correction and alignment of the imperfect bite. Imperfect teeth positioning and malocclusions are associated with pain that spreads to the neck and head, tooth loss, and tooth decay. Without treatment, malocclusions will affect your smile an overall look.
Who Qualifies for Orthodontic Treatment?
Stittsville Dentists will determine if you qualify for treatment through physical examination and a number of tests. A dental diagnosis will be made through dental simulation and x-rays. Orthodontic treatment is recommended for an open bite, gaps in teeth, crowding, zigzag tooth arrangement, underbite, and crossbite.
Orthodontic Treatments that be Used in Cosmetic Dentistry
There are numerous orthodontic treatment techniques which range from the traditional fixed metal braces to the latest techniques such as Damon braces. The type of treatment technique chosen is dependent on the nature and prognosis of the dental condition. Each of the techniques makes use of gentle pressure to maneuver teeth into the desired positions. The broad categories of orthodontic treatments are the fixed and removable orthodontic equipment.
- Metal Braces – they consist of wires, brackets and elastic bands that are gradually adjusted to pull teeth inwards. The archwire is passed through the brackets which are attached on the outer surface of each tooth and is tightened by the dentist for desired results.
- Self-Ligating Braces – an advanced form of braces that do away with the need for elastic bands. The braces have the advantages of being frictionless and hygienic since they do not harbor plaque. They take less time and fewer visits to the dentist in Stittsville for complete straightening of teeth compared to metal braces.
- Damon Braces – they are the most popular self-ligating braces since they do not require bands and metal ties. The system is unique since it doesn’t require tooth extraction and will align teeth in minimal time.
- Ceramic Braces – they are ceramic as the name suggests and have white metal wires and plain colored ties. The braces are matched to the color of your teeth and are preferred since they are not visible during treatment.
- Lingual Braces – invisible lingual braces are fitted on the inner surface of your teeth making them invisible when you smile.
- Invisalign – Invisalign is removable braces which are a good substitute for dental braces. They do not come with brackets and wires and are effective in aligning teeth faster compared to metal braces. Invisalign braces are removed when eating and brushing teeth.
Contact us for any questions regarding orthodontics or cosmetic dentistry in Stittsville and we will schedule an appointment and take it up from there.