A physiotherapist is trained in the science of movement and works to identify the root causes of injury. Physiotherapy treatment is critical for people who have injuries or chronic pain to aid the healing process and everyday function.
Your doctor will recommend and refer you for physiotherapy as soon as they complete surgery on a muscle injury, ligament injury, fractures, hip replacement, and others such as stroke or heart attack.
Visits to a physiotherapist will attract costs that can be covered by your health insurance. Make sure to visit the insurance company’s website or give them a call to confirm that physiotherapy is covered. In the event physiotherapy is not covered, you are required to pay for the total cost of treatment out of pocket.
Nature of Problems Handled by Physiotherapists
Motion Matters works to rehabilitate or prevent injury, disease or disability. The following are different types of treatments that we provide:
- Neck pain and back pain that originates from a problem in muscles and the skeleton.
- Ligament, muscle, joint, and bone problems such as arthritis, injuries and even amputation.
- Lung conditions such as asthma
- Disability caused by heart problems
- Pelvic problems that include bowel and bladder issues related to childbirth.
- Mobility issues caused by trauma to the spine or brain, multiple sclerosis, or Parkinson’s disease.
- Pain, fatigue, stiffness, swelling, and loss of muscle strength that can be caused by cancer treatment and palliative care.
Preparation for a Visit to a Physiotherapist and What to Expect
Every patient coming to Motion Matters in Ottawa presents a unique set of needs. The sessions are therefore unique for every patient as per their particular set of needs. Generally, you expect:
- The physiotherapist to ask for your medical history.
- The physiotherapist to assess your condition and make a diagnosis.
- To receive a custom treatment plan with set goals.
- To get a course of exercises and any assistive devices prescribed to you.