These days it is hardly heard about lawyers without someone mentioning the high fees that tag along with them. The requirements for law firms may differ. When you do a little research you can find that some organisations do provide a free initial consultation for probable clients. With a free consultation this “priceless” opportunity will help you determine if your case will qualify for legal assistance. Also what steps you would need to take if you decide to take the legal action way.
In the law world it is sometimes very confusing especially people who find their selves needing an attorney. An average person has many questions that will need to be answered even before they hire an attorney. What kind of case do I have? Do I need a lawyer? Most importantly how much is this going to cost me?
Many legal services cost more than others. Family law services can be very expensive since most of these lawyers work by a pay per hour basis. Some which charge up to $200 an hour. Some personal injury lawyers can often be pursued at a no out of the pocket cost because they get paid when you get paid. Many law firms provide flat fees for ordinary legal services. No matter what kind of legal service you need, you can get your initial questions answered to gain a better understanding of the case if you take gain of the free legal consultation.
Why do organisations provide free consultations?
There is a saying, free advice is worth what you pay for it, well that is not true when it comes to getting some free legal consultation for a lot of reasons. Here are the top 3:
- Reason 1- A law firm gives services to the public like a restaurant does. They simply want your business. Of course they will probably be selling divorces and law suit instead of pizzas and pasta. But they still need to be competitive in the market.
- Reason 2- To qualify for their services they need to evaluate your case. With an experienced attorney, he/she can quickly tell you if your case is worth anything and if you meet certain requirements for legal action.
- Reason 3- Ethical rules in all jurisdictions. To prevent attorneys from taking any opposing actions against a previous client. For that they need to find out if they have any conflicts with you. If the firm found out they represented your soon-to-be-ex-husband in his car accident, it will be a waste of time and an ethical issue if you pay to get your case started.
So how do you find a free consultation?
You could look in the phone book or do a search on the internet. Businesses including law firms still advertise in phone books. You should look for advertisements that say, “free primary review,” “no charge for first consultation,” and “free consultation.”
Also many law firms advertise their free consultations on the internet. Many law firms have websites; some will include information about whether or not they offer a free consultation. By using your favorite search engine, search for “attorney free consultation Ottawa” make sure to include your area for example Ottawa in the search.
If you cannot find a law firm near you that offers a free consultation, then you should look into the best surrounding areas, just call and ask if they will do a free initial consultation with you. A lot of law firms provide free reviews for people who call and ask. Even if they are not advertised. If they say no to a free consultation, don’t worry just move on to another law firm.
How should you prepare for your consultation?
- Have a layout like a timeline of your case prepared. Example, the month and year that you and your wife separated. What medical emergency first case you not be able to pay your bills? Pointing out the first stage of the legal issues you have had can help put the whole situation in context thereby helping your attorney greatly. Make sure you include only the most important points in your timeline. Including any legal papers that have been served to you or have been filed. Your consulting attorney will ask you for more details if he/she needs them.
- Make sure you tell the attorney if you have been tangled in to any similar cases like this before. Even if it involves the same people. A person can only file for Chapter 7 Bankruptcy only one time every 7 years. A family law matter might affect your case if you have filed to modify your custody case with the past couple of years. Your attorney will tell you if these issues will affect your case or not.
- Make sure you take lots of notes. This is very simple. Many people go to talk to a lawyer and have already forgotten what was said before thy even get to their car. If the attorney who has consulted with you cannot help you, it is very possible that they will give you a phone number of an attorney who they think can help you. They might also give you a list of paperwork you need to bring to your next meeting. So you need to be ready to take these notes.
Whenever you are confronted with an issue that you this needs legal help, educate yourself about your options. Take advantage of free consultations. This is the most efficient way to get started. If you use these tips, you can get the most out of your free legal consultation. Good Luck!